Community Solar

We’re pretty conscientious about our power consumption. We’ve changed over to all LED lighting, for example, we select appliances by considering their power requirements and we haven’t electrified simple things that are just as easily done by hand, like grinding coffee beans. But we’re a modern household, to be sure, and it all adds up.

Today, I signed up for a community solar program called Relay Power. They are gathering enrollees right now for a new solar farm in Dover, Massachusetts. Sadly, they don’t provide enough information on their website for anyone to figure out how it works; they say no upfront expense, for example, but how could they possibly fund the solar farm without taking capital from enrollees? Nevertheless, I’ve scheduled an interview for Monday, so I can find out more.

Alternatively, my neighbor put solar panels on their roof this winter. I’d like to hear more about their experience. I have more tree cover than they do, but still might have enough exposure to get away with it. I plan to have a solar installer come by this summer, when the leaves are out, to give me an assessment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inauguration Day and the Hill We Climb