Fourth (and fifth) shift as a herring monitor

Today, I returned to the Mystic Lakes Dam for my fourth shift counting herring swimming up the the fish ladder. See here for a reminder. In fact, today, I did a double shift, filling in for someone who had previously had the shift after mine. So I took my count, had lunch, and took a second count.

Unfortunately, like my first couple of shifts, it was rainy and cold. And the water was high, flowing over the top of the counting box and creating visibility problems. So I counted only one fish in my two shifts. It’s quite possible that other fish snuck past without me noticing. It’s also possible that the one fish I saw was a shadow. Pretty hard to tell. I suspect the video monitoring would work out better on a day like today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inauguration Day and the Hill We Climb