Cartooning for Peace

“How will they explain this to the world? I am being taken into custody for drawing cartoons,” Turkish cartoonist told reporters last year, while his newspaper, Cumhuriyet, was being raided.

Today, I read a fascinating report, Report on the Situation of Cartoonists Worldwide 2016/2017,  published by Cartooning for Peace. And the situation isn’t great. The report goes into press freedoms in countries from the Americas to Europe to Asia to Africa. And everywhere, it seems, press freedom is under pressure, which includes political cartoonists. Indeed the profiles of cartoonists in exile make for good reading. And I love the samples of cartoonists in the report. I wanted to feature a few here, but I also want to respect their copyrights, so I suggest you read the report yourself. I’ll also make a donation to Reporters without borders, though I’m in the air right now, so that will have to wait.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inauguration Day and the Hill We Climb