The city lives of bees

Urbanization has costs for ecosystems. From habitat loss to pollution to predation, dense human populations push out most other species. But bees are surprisingly resilient in urban environments and can even thrive in them. “Vacant land and urban agriculture are rejuvenating wild bee populations,” says this article. “Bees love cities. What can cities do to love them back?”

Today, I went to a discussion held at the Somerville Community Growing Center on “The City Lives of Bees.” It was one of the most interesting talks I’ve been to in quite some time. I learned quite a bit about how the monoculture crops on big farms are terrible for natural pollinators as well as for migrant honeybees. And about how some cities are mapping pollinator highways to ensure a diverse native bee population. I might even install a bee hotel in my yard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inauguration Day and the Hill We Climb